Other Details

Thursday, July 30, 2015

Scratch Goes to the Vet

Okay, first things first.  I really thought I would have more time to document our progress.  As it turns out, training a horse and maintaining your normal household duties is a real chore!

Our first ride was the 20th of July.  We've been riding every day since then.  I started in a snaffle and quickly moved to the hackamore.  I wasn't sure what kind of shape Scratch's teeth were in and I didn't want to hurt his mouth.  It turns out that was a good decision.

One of our sponsors for the VHTC is Bakersfield Large Animal Vet Hospital.  Dr. Tolley has been very supportive and agreed to do a medical exam and insure Scratch is up-to-date on his vaccinations.  I knew Scratch would have to go into a stock for the dental.  I really wanted to make sure he was safe.  I've had Scratch going through very tight openings for the last three weeks.

Listen, before I give you the story, Here are the "takeaways' from today's visit followed by a short video of the procedure.


  • Scratch is estimated to be 9 years old.  That means he was born around 2006 and was a stallion until 2013.
  • He got his teeth mechanically floated.
  • He received his EWE/WNV/TET and Flu/Rhino vaccines.
  • He Fecal Egg count was negative 
  • He has a body condition score of 5
Now here's the video.


Our appointment was for 1 pm and the vet is about 15 minutes away.  I haven't trailered Scratch anywhere since I brought him home.  I've gotten him in the trailer and drove him around and let him back out at the house, but we've never been someplace else and got out and back in the trailer.  The vet is near the freeway and car lots.  Much noise and balloons.

Scratch hopped in the trailer no problem.  We were about 10 minutes early so we just waited in the trailer.  It was about 96 in Bakersfield today, but overcast.  When everyone go back from lunch I put Scratch in a pen.  Dr. Tolley was on an emergency call and would be a few minutes late.

There was a stock outside similar to the one Scratch would be asked to walk into.  When it came time to take him in, I asked the handler to walk him through the one outside first.  There was a touch of resistance, but he complied.  And, when it came time to go into the inside stock, Scratch walked right in.

The exam went smoothly.  Dr. Tolley performed about $400 worth of vet work and was very helpful in determining age and body condition.

When it was over, Scratch hopped back in the trailer and we headed home.  Now it's time to go to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment