Other Details

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Six Weeks to Go

Scratch has been working really hard to get ready.  We've been lucky enough to use the arenas at Rancho Rio Equestrian Stables.  They are great!  There are several different sizes and things go on around each one.

I still have not ridden Scratch out of the arena much.  Last week while we were riding around the stable he spooked at something and bolted.  It wasn't bad - bad, but it was scary.  I got him under control, but I had to fight my emothions some and let Scratch go a bit before I regained control.  I feel I really need to get him comfortable out on the trail to consider this project a success.

Slowly I'm getting the hang of the hackamore. Scratch is responding to it better and better.  It really is a fascinating tool.

Ranae went out with me on Sunday and shot some video.  She really helps me with my riding a lot. Anyway we put some of the stuff to some of my favorite music and you can see what we are working on.


Yesterday Scratch got his second series of vaccinations from Bakersfield Vet Hospital.  Today he looked fine in his pen.  I felt the injection sites and there was not a reaction.  I loaded him up and when I unloaded him at the stable he was drooling profusely.  I checked his mouth - nothing.  He had eaten breakfast and pooped.  We did a little groundwork then I thought I would just take his temp.  It was 102.6.  I loaded him back in the trailer and brought him home to give him the rest of the day off.  He is quietly munching lunch as I write this....

No comments:

Post a Comment