Other Details

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

What's in a Name

 Meet "Scratch"

Scratch
Little Billy Shakespeare was right when he said "A rose by any other name is still a rose."  After many wonderful suggestions and much ruminating, (always good to toss a cow joke in a horse blog), we're calling my new horse "Scratch".

I stumbled on Scratch quite by accident.  The more I tossed the name aside, the more reasons came back telling me this horse was Scratch.  After all, many of the horses living in this herd are covered with scratches.  They are tough horses.  The world is a rough place for them.  Living with bumps, bruises, and scratches is just a part of getting up in the morning.

When we were getting to know each other in the first few hours of getting home, I let it be known the next four months would be filled with rub downs, pats, and scratches.  At the time, he (known as Whats-his-name then) didn't think much of any of those options. He had not yet discovered the magic of my fingers.  I know, given a chance, I can win him over.

The compelling reason to name him Scratch came from our starting place.  We are starting from Scratch.  I've not done this before, started a horse that is.  I've come a long way with Jessie.  We continue to have a good time together.  But last year as I watched the entire VHTC I thought, "This is a really cool event.  The people putting it on are great.  The horse are especially wonderful.  Wouldn't it be great to try."  The event is designed to showcase the horses and, I think more importantly, good horsemanship.  

It's one thing to study horsemanship - read books, magazine articles, watch videos - it's another to apply it to an un-started horse.  My podcast, The Whoa Podcast about Horses and Horsemanship (yes, shameless plug), has given me the opportunity to talk to and watch a good many excellent horsemen and women.  I've seen what others have done.  Now, it's time to put my knowledge to the test. 

Scratch reminds me of a lottery ticket.  What are the odds?  Two weeks ago, I'm certain he didn't think his life was going to change substantially.  I hit the jackpot being a part of this event.  I cant wait to see where it goes.  Scratch is also slang for money, i.e. "chicken scratch".  Maybe I should spell it with a dollar sign like this - $cratch.  What do you think?

And, scratches can be just minor irritations....unless you neglect them.  Then scratches can be a real pain in the ass.  Or, we could be just scratching the surface of learning about this horsemanship deal.  There are a lot of reasons to pick the name Scratch.  Scratch fits us perfectly.

Scratch and I are ready.  We'll do our best to learn about each others' world and our respective places in that world.  I'll take care of him and expect him to do the same for me.  

The next four months is a partnership.  As emotional as it is, I've already made the decision to auction Scratch at the end of the event.  These horses need homes.  The drought in California and the overpopulation of the herd make it a tougher place to live than it has to be.  If I can get him ready for a new life, a place with a kid to ride him and a dog to tag along, I've done my job.  The name Scratch keeps us humble and in touch with both our roots.  It reminds us today is a gift.  Pop it open and enjoy it. 

1 comment:

  1. A great name for him, John! And, it saddened me a bit to read that you will auction him off at the end of your event. But, you're right, he will be perfect for a family and they will give him a good life. Thanks for a thought-provoking post in which I learned some things. xoA

    ReplyDelete