Other Details

Saturday, June 13, 2015

The Night Before

Tomorrow is the big day.  I must say it is a bit of an ominous feeling.  Getting another horse is one thing.  Getting a wild horse of Oak Creek is another.  Getting a horse I know I'm going to train to be auctioned off in 4 months is bizarre.

I'm not one to let go of animals I make a relationship with.  It's not in my nature.  If I choose you for our family, it is usually for life.

I'm going to state my goals here before I start.  That's not to say they won't change.  They probably will.  Stating them here is just to see HOW the change.  This is after all, an adventure.

Goals

#1.  Don't get killed or hurt.  The only way I'm any good to this horse is if I'm healthy.  Three weeks ago, I re-instated my workout routine.  My goal is too stay fit and to ask the same of my horse.

#2.  This is called the Vaquero Heritage Trainers Challenge.  Listen, I'm no Vaquero.  I'd love to be, but I'm not kidding myself.  What I know about horsemanship compared to those guys would not fill a thimble.  But I have studied horsemanship.  I know a bit more than some.  I am qualified to do this.  But, I will not pretend to be something I'm not (even if it's something I've strive for) - a vaquero.  I have to use the tools I have now, not the ones I hope to have.

#3.  The people putting this event on are doing so to place these horses in qualified homes.  They are also trying to reduce herd size.   The only way this horse is going to find a qualified home is a) I make sure it is healthy and b) I make sure it is safe.  I think I can deliver on both those accounts.  I want to deliver a horse that is dead broke.  One a kid can ride on the trail, maybe work a few cows, but more importantly, be a willing and trusting partner.

I think I know the Downunder Horsemanship Method pretty well.  That's going to be my test.  How well do I really know it?  My horse will provide that answer.  Yes, I am apprehensive about the new horse.  I take that as a good sign.  If there weren't apprehension, if I weren't worried about the outcome, what kind of trainer would I be?

Tomorrow is the big day.  I'm not sure how busy I'll be with the new horse, but I hope you will follow along.  If you ever thought about starting a horse, if you ever wanted a challenge, come along with me.  Read and learn about my journey.  I promise to tell you not just the highs, but the lows as well.  Together, let's learn a little more about what we call horsemanship.

No comments:

Post a Comment